ENERGY STAR Room Air Cleaners
A room air cleaner is a portable, electric, cord-connected appliance that removes fine particle matter from room air.
Did you know that a typical room air cleaner, operating continuously, uses approximately 600 kWh per year in electricity – this is equal to the power used by your refrigerator!
ENERGY STAR qualified room air cleaners are 35% more energy-efficient than standard models saving consumers 215 kWh/year, or $16 annually on utility bills. These savings could add up to as much as $150 over the life of the air cleaner!
Earning the ENERGY STAR means products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the US Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy.
- ENERGY STAR qualified room air cleaners use less energy to remove particles, such as dust and pollen from indoor air.
- Qualified models that offer secondary features such as clocks and remote controls consume less than 2 watts while in standby mode.
- ENERGY STAR specification for room air cleaners measures energy efficiency by using a CADR/Watt ratio. Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) is a measure of the amount of contaminant-free air delivered by the room air cleaner. However, please note, the US EPA does not endorse any manufacturer claims of healthier indoor air from the use of this product.
Remember, saving energy prevents pollution. By choosing a room air cleaner that meets ENERGY STAR, you are helping prevent global warming without sacrificing the product quality and performance you expect.
Room Air Cleaners Key Product Criteria
Equipment Specification Room Air Cleaners Must produce a minimum 50 CADR* for Dust to be considered under this specification.
- Minimum Performance Requirement: = 2.0 CADR/Watt (Dust)
- Standby Power Requirement: = 2.0 Watts Qualifying models that perform secondary consumer functions (e.g. clock, remote control) must meet the standby power requirement.
- UL Safety Requirement: Models that emit ozone as a byproduct of air cleaning must meet UL Standard 867 (ozone production must not exceed 50ppb)
*Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) must be measured according to the latest ANSI/AHAM AC-1 (AC-1) Standard (Go to www.aham.org for information regarding the latest edition of the AC-1 Standard).
Product Packaging Requirements
The ENERGY STAR disclaimer label, which includes the following statement, must be placed on the product packaging of ENERGY STAR qualified air cleaners: “This product earned the ENERGY STAR by meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the US EPA. US EPA does not endorse any manufacturer claims of healthier indoor air from the use of this product.”
|Manufacturer Name||Brand/Model Name||Model Number||Dust CADR||Tobacco Smoke CADR||Pollen CADR||Dust CADR/Watt||Date Available on the Market|
|Friedrich A/C Co.||Friedrich A/C Co.||C90A||320||300||370||3.55||21-Jun-04|
|The Holmes Group||Holmes||HAP725-U||174||160.4||152.3||2.15||Currently|
|The Holmes Group||Holmes||HAP1625-U||174||160.4||152.3||2.16||Currently|
|The Holmes Group||Holmes||HAP750-U||275.6||270.7||244.3||2.37||Currently|
|The Holmes Group||Holmes||HAP1650-U||275.6||270.7||244.3||2.37||Currently|
|The Holmes Group||Bionaire||BAP1225-U||174||160.4||152.3||2.16||1-Aug-04|
|The Holmes Group||Bionaire||BAP1250-U||275.6||270.7||244.3||2.37||1-Aug-04|
* Disclaimer: Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) is a measure of the amount of contaminant-free air delivered by the room air cleaner. The ENERGY STAR specification requires that manufacturers measure CADR according to AHAM/ANSI AC-1-2002, a test procedure developed by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), and recognized by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). For more information about CADR please visit : www.cadr.org
When considering the purchase of an ENERGY STAR qualified room air cleaner, the comparison should not solely be based on CADR. The CADR of a specific air cleaner model is affected by a number of factors included the size of the model; larger units often have higher CADRs. For more information on the appropriate sized room air cleaner for your application please refer to individual manufacturer web sites or ask your retailer.